Friday, July 11, 2008

When Opportunity Knocks...

As I have written here, I have been researching business schools. I have talked to professors at six universities or more, and I have picked their brains whenever possible. Yesterday, I got some excellent advice from one of my former teachers - she suggested I attend an annual conference put on by the Academy of Management. It is in four weeks in Anaheim, California. Before the end of the day, I had a membership in that esteemed body, a flight, a hotel, and a registration receipt for the conference.

Those who know me well, know that I rarely do things impetuously. I like to plan ahead somewhat, and I definitely like to know what I am getting myself into. So clearly, to take that advice and act so quickly might not seem to be in character, but I am a man of action when waiting will cost me an opportunity that might make the difference in accomplishing my goals. By attending this conference, I will have the chance to immerse myself in the world of academic research, to meet professors and doctoral students from many different programs, and to see the topics being developed right now. What better way to get myself ready to join their world?

I know the advice my professor has given me could be the difference I need to get accepted by a top school. At the very least, I will get a glimpse of my future, and who wouldn't want to see that? So, to my professor, thank you, I hope to make you proud.

-- Robert

No comments: