Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Okay, Wake Up Out There

All right, the last two posts were a tad dry. Okay, they make Alan Greenspan seem like a motivational speaker. I guess I really should have majored in accounting after all, since I have so much fun sharing tidbits of knowledge about it. I've wondered since college if finance wasn't better for me, though. Instead of reporting on the past, you get to play weather man with dollars and cents. Okay, I'll stop before I begin explaining the fun I had using Net Present Value to analyze a truck purchase we made this summer.

Right now, our business sees the "season" much like anyone else. We just get to see it from the perspective of what stores are stocking up on. We haul yams (sweet potatoes), pumpkins, Christmas trees (though not any this year, from what I've seen), frozen meats... lots of the things that populate a holiday feasting table. And, much like the feeling one gets after eating such a feast, there is always a sense that it is time to stop eating for a few days. We have one of our two deadest weeks right after Christmas. The other is after the Fourth of July. Drivers go home for several days, few loads seem to be moving... there's just a lull. There's just the feeling that things are winding down in a real way. They don't completely pick back up until late January to early March (depending on the year). With all the weather smacking the country in the middle and the northeast, I'm surprised things haven't already come to a stand still. Hopefully people survive those rough conditions and come back out ready to buy out the grocery stores.

This post does not have a real point. I just thought I'd write a little about office life at the end of the year. I imagine most businesses tend to follow a similar pattern. Then comes January, and the accountants (and various tax preparation companies) come out of the woodwork. One woman who works on an accounting office in our community says that January first her body just automatically wakes up at 5:00 AM and she goes to work for the tax season.

Enough of this rambling post. Enjoy the holidays, everyone. Merry Christmas.

-- Robert

No comments: