Saturday, March 15, 2008

Good People

Last night we spent an evening with my wife's Relay for Life team until the kids needed to get to home. Tonight we spent the evening with our friends and their children, having a grand time. All of the people we spent these evenings with are what I call good people. They aren't perfect, and they may not even be all that much like me in a lot of ways, but they're the kind of people that make me feel fortunate to know them. I feel like elaborating, but at the same time, trying to explain their goodness might diminish it with unsatisfactory words. These are just the sort of people that others are drawn to, who others appreciate knowing, and who triumph over the obstacles in their paths because they have the will to do so. I have the utmost respect and admiration for these friends who we have grown close to, and I look forward to knowing them in the days, months, and hopefully years to come. Having one true friend in life is a mark of success. Having friends like these makes me feel quite fortunate and successful.

-- Robert

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought that was a wonderful post. I feel the same way about many of the people that I have been able to interact with during my life. Sometimes it seems like I only notice that bad things that the world often has. But at times like that, I am usually able to see one of those people that are good, reminding me that there really is a lot of good in the world. Having true friends really does make life a better place.

Robert said...

Absolutely it does, Michael. True friends can be hard to come by, and they're worth their weight in gold. I've been fortunate to have the friends I do in life, and I cherish them. This weekend just reminded me that I shouldn't ignore new friends who might become true friends.