Friday, August 22, 2008

The Closing Date Set, We're Moved Out

Our closing date is set for next Wednesday. We will be completely out of the house by this weekend. We already have everything but a couple of my wife's instruments out. Then we need to move our dog somewhere. It's truly amazing how fast it went. We've barely had time to get nostalgic. I know it's the right thing, but I don't know if it is ever easy to leave behind that "first house". Both of our children came home to this house. We've put a lot of energy into making it our own. Now we will go somewhere new and hopefully make that place our own.

I guess the lesson I've learned over the past decade is that home is where the heart is, and family is where the heart is. Home has more to do with family than bricks and mortar. I can make a home out of a hotel room, as long as my family is with me. I will miss some things about the physical setting we've called home for the past several years, but we can make new memories wherever we go. I think the most important thing for us going forward is the knowledge that we are on a path we are supposed to be on. It won't always be easy, but it will be worth it. I hope it will help my children feel more willing and able to follow their true paths in life. It will probably help them not feel like one house, one community, one town, or even one state has to be "home". Breaking free from that mindset has helped open a world of opportunity for me, and I am grateful for those who have helped me appreciate the idea that I do not have to live where I grew up to feel at home.

-- Robert

No comments: