Monday, September 29, 2008

The 13th Reality - A Great Book for Minds Young and Old

For the past several years, I have had the habit of picking up a novel to read if I am going on a long trip where I expect to have some time on my hands. If the trip involves a lot of driving, then I might get an audiobook - either instead or in addition. On our recent trip west, I picked up The 13th Reality to listen to, a book that probably fits best on the genre of young readers and science fiction. The main character is a boy named Atticus "Tick" Higginbottom, a nerd with no friends who one day receives a letter inviting him to take up a quest to help many people at the risk of great peril to his own life. What follows is a fun ride of mystery, scientific intrigue, and personal triumph. I won't spoil anything about the book, but I definitely enjoyed it, as did my daughter (though I doubt she grasped a lot of it). My wife even seemed to enjoy it, though she let me listen to parts without her and give her summaries. I would definitely consider the book a great purchase for a young teenager (probably a boy) who enjoys science or mysteries. It was clean, engaging, and fun. I thought the interactions between the main character and his father were heart-warming. I look forward to the next book, The Hunt for Dark Infinity, due out (based on the running clock on his blog at jamesdashner.blogspot.com) in about five months.

For the record, I picked up the book because the title sounded interesting, and I bought it because the author was from "a small town in Georgia". He doesn't live in Georgia now, but I like to support my home state authors when I can. I hope he has a bright future ahead of him.

-- Robert

No comments: