Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Reflections...

Just the other day, it occurred to me that ten years ago, I was in my senior year of college. I had a list of classes on my wall that I had made the year before showing me the order I had to complete them to graduate. I was probably actively crossing several off and scheduling the last set. Because I was a transfer student, I had learned quickly that I had virtually no choice in my schedule if I still wanted to finish up on my original schedule of three years. All of my business classes from my prior school were conveniently labelled "arts and science" for my electives, so everything left except one course was a business class. Most of those were accounting classes, so I had to take two at once most of the time I was in school. The main thing I remember feeling at the end of the semester ten years ago was burnout. I had gone to school straight through the summer from September 1997 to December 1998. I did not want to even see another text book for several weeks (and really, never again). Yet somehow, I managed to pass all of my classes.

Now, ten years later, I'm sitting here waiting to find out where I can go spend four to five years studying again. Amazing what a decade can do to a person. Hopefully it's a sign of maturity and growth. And hopefully the schools I applied to agree.

-- Robert

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Either that or total insanity. But you know, insanity gets a really bad rap. I'm trying to make it work for me, so I'm sure you can, too. :)

Robert said...

What is they say about the fine line between insanity and genius... why does there have to be a line? Can't I be both?

le35 said...

Well, I can see some appeal in picking up another book, but I also can see why people, after they finally graduate from college never go back.

Robert said...

Yes, I can see why I thought that way then, and why I feel how I do now. I love learning, but at that time I was just fried. Now I'm psyched.