Thursday, January 8, 2009

Newborn Son

Now that I have given my wife a chance to post some pictures of our new little boy, I can now write my own post welcoming him to the world. He is the second son I have watched enter the world, and the third child. Each one has come ready with his or her own personality. In the case of our new son, he seems calm and peaceful. He might express displeasure at something for a moment, but he then settles down to simply experience it. Will that attitude continue? Only time will tell. For now, I am simply thankful that he is exactly what I wanted: healthy.

So, my son, I welcome you to this world. I look forward to all you will teach me, and hopefully to what I might hope to teach you. Your big sister already adores you. Hopefully she won't treat you like her own personal baby doll. She will probably dote on you quite a bit for a while, though. Your brother, well, that may be another story. You have, after all, taken his position as "baby". Also, he is somewhat disconnected from the fact that you are now part of the family. He will clue in soon, and I feel sure he will love you, but hopefully not by playing "pow pow" with you. At least not yet. I have a vision that one day you two will be best friends, much like your sister is with him already. Just know that you have a wonderful family who you will bring much joy to.

Oh, and one more thing: your Mom. She loves you more than her own life. She loves all of her children that way. Sometimes she may be tired, and sometimes she may show her love by keeping you straight, but she still loves you. For now, though, she will spend much of her energy on you, so I hope you are thankful. You are blessed to have her. So am I. So sometimes she has to come first. Most of the time you will. For now. Enjoy it while you can. It's a big world.

Welcome.

-- Robert

3 comments:

le35 said...

Thanks for the loving comment, Rob.

Melissa said...

What a great letter to him. I'm sure he'll love to read that someday.

Can you send me your snail mail address? Thanks!

Robert said...

Thanks, Melissa. Maybe blogs won't be laughable by the time my kids can read. :)